Improving Part Performance with Thermox Treatments
THERMOX™ is a controlled oxidation process of metals to produce a stable thin layer of oxide on the surface of a component. This process can be used to provide a component with increased corrosion resistance, better wear resistance, increased surface hardness, an attractive surface finish and, in the case of porous materials such as powder metal, seal the part porosity.
- Acts as a buffer between steel and liquid metals extending part life
- Improves corrosion resistance delaying the onset of corrosion in stored parts
- Provides a pleasing cosmetic appearance
- Increased surface hardness leading to improved productivity with THERMOX™ II treatment
- Enhances the metal’s ability to retain lubricants reducing wear
- Reduces friction and adhesion between the work material and the tool
- Seals voids in porous materials such as powder metal parts
THERMOX™ can be used in the following applications:
- Die casting inserts, ejector pins, and other components of liquid metal handling systems
- Components exposed to general corrosion
- Decorative ferrous parts
- Extrusion components
- Forging dies
- Cutting tool holders
- Powder metal parts
THERMOX™ can be applied to work pieces up to 36” wide by 48” long and up to 3000 lbs.
BOHLER-UDDEHOLM also offers THERMOX™ II —a duplex process for even greater surface integrity
Please contact us for more information.